Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Why is brown ugly?

Maria says she is here today because of pain over her heart. It is like a rock on her chest, and it gets worse when she thinks about the pain in her life. She says, "Mis hijos me odian, " my children hate me because I abandoned them in Mexico. I have no one. I work hard but my body is failing as I work. I don't ask her to tell me why she abandoned them. I know. It was her husband who told her to come to the US, and he's not there anymore. Maybe he died, maybe he found another woman. Maybe he's an alcoholic. "I was left in a garbage dump by my parents," she goes on to report. "Another family found me when I was a few hours old. They never told me until one day I was yelling at Blanca she shouldn't be hitting that child, and she fumed back, 'you are not really a part of our family, so don't tell me what to do with my children. Your parents left you because you were ugly. Your eyes are brown and their eyes were colored'". "Why are brown eyes are ugly", I inquired? She said its just the way things are, but she said, " sometimes I dresses up and can look nice. I'm not really ugly, I don't think."
Maria's EKG is normal and I am going to have her get a stress test. I am suspicious it will not divulge the source of her pain.

No comments: