Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Toxic waste

Dinh, a Vietnamese father of 2 was in for vomiting and diarrhea. He was already improving after about 1 day of symptoms. I was nearly knocked over, though, when I entered the room. It was the strongest ripest diaper smell possible. My nurses usually impressed with my fortitude of ignoring unpleasant smells, but this was over the top. I looked around the room at the 2 and 3 year olds toddling around the room, and asked, "Does someone have a poopy diaper?" The man, barely functional in English, finally got the message. He looked into the diaper of little Tran. Oh, I guess she needs a change. "I have a stuffy nose so I couldn't smell anything, he explained." He changed the diaper in the bathroom and left the diaper in the trash there. Nursing drew straws for a toxic emergency swat team to remove the offending trash bag to the outdoor dumpster. After a few sprays of air freshener, and a laugh, we were back to normal operations. Several women I know have wondered out loud whether the 'Y' chromosome confers an ability to ignore all needs of the house and children. Now I can understand their comment!

1 comment:

Eric said...

A female Vietnamese interpreter confided to me that many Vietnamese women who have lived in the US for a while have grown used to seeing American men who are willing to take on responsibilities with children and home. Many Vietnamese marriages are ending, in her opinion, due to an unwillingness to accept this male position of power, with the woman working like a slave.